Sunday, September 11, 2011

Chicken Soup with Embarrassing Statistics

Today is the 10th anniversary of the event known almost universally as "9/11" and there are numerous dedications and memorial services going on as I write. In fact, I've seen more documentaries about 9/11 over the last two weeks than I can remember. I joked to one of my coworkers the other day that I was half expecting to hear a report about the effect of 9/11 on the hairdressing industry.

And now for those "embarrassing statistics."

In the decade since 9/11, according to the FBI's Uniform Crime Report, Americans have committed the following crimes against other Americans:

Homicide: 163,705
Forcible Rape: 927,387
Aggravated Assault: 8,619,877

The American Family just keeps churning them out.

Al Quaeda would have to stage more than five 9/11 attacks every year in order to come close to the rate at which Americans murder other Americans. The United States is not a nation of angels. It's not even close. If you want to make this country a better place to live, take a good look in the mirror and ask what you've done to avoid rewarding or otherwise enabling American criminals. And if you're not even willing to make that small effort toward your own country's future, stop complaining about terrorism, because you aren't really all that concerned about victims.

1 comment:

  1. I promise I won't beat my wife....anymore...as long as my team keeps winning. Swear to God.

    ReplyDelete